Within seconds a connection is made between users and your website. Whether that connection is good or bad all comes down to design. Is your website and its design attracting users, inviting them to share and come back for more? Or does it leave something to be desired? We pulled some of the top statistics on why good website design is so important and how it can impact user behavior. The key factors to good website design are TRUST, LAYOUT, COLOR, and LOAD TIME. Read on to see how these areas can impact your website success.
Why should we care about website design?
- It takes about 50 milliseconds (that’s 0.05 seconds) for users to form an opinion about your website that determines whether they like your site or not, whether they’ll stay or leave.
- This is because the human brain tends to process visual content a lot faster than words, around 60,000 times faster to be exact!
- Design statistics show 47% of users expect a web page to load in two seconds.
39% of people will stop engaging with a website if images won’t load or take too long to load
- Slow-loading websites cost retailers $2.6 billion in lost sales each year.
- Pages that load within two seconds have an average bounce rate of 9%, while pages that load in five seconds see their bounce rates skyrocket to 38%.
- 39% of web users are drawn to color more than any other visual element when visiting websites
- Websites that feature the colour green can see their traffic increased by 3%
- Websites with darker colour schemes see a 2% increase in traffic growth.
- Did you know that 85 percent of shoppers base their product purchasing decisions on color?
- 84.6% of web designers said that crowded web design was the most common mistake by small businesses
- Web design stats show 70% of people look at lists with bullet points, while 55% look at lists without bullets.
- 38% of people visiting a website for the first time look at the layout or navigational links on a page. If the layout is confusing or the navigation menu is hard to find, then visitors may leave your website.
- 75% of website credibility comes from design
- Based on the design of a website, users take a decision in 10 seconds or less whether they trust the business
- 94% of people say web design is the reason they mistrust a website
7 WAYS TO INCREASE CONSUMER TRUST ON YOUR WEBSITE:
- Layout and website design
- About page
- Contact page
- Valuable, helpful content
- Credibility markers
- Trust markers
- Decrease visual clutter
73% of consumers trust the information on a business’s website over other sources